19.12.15

widower dreading first Christmas without wife posts tear-jerking Facebook status - then something magical happens


A widower dreading his first Christmas without
his beloved wife has made a heartbreaking appeal
for company and hundreds have responded.
The man, known only as Raymond, lost his wife
this year and his only son lives on the other side
of the world in Australia. He was facing the grim
prospect of a lonely Christmas dinner, but the
overwhelming kindness of strangers means he
now has plenty of places to go.
He posted a message on the Prestwich People
Facebook page, reports the Manchester Evening
News. He wrote:
''I have been gaining the courage to write this
so here goes...
''I lost my wife earlier this year and I am
dreading this first Christmas without her.
"Our only son is now grown up and has a
family of his own, lives in Australia and is unable
to get back here to spend Christmas with me, I
can't get on a plane to travel that far to see him.
''I don't want to be a burden but are there any
community meet ups on Christmas Day where I
can go and meet others so I don't have to spend
the day eating my dinner alone?
''Any help would be much appreciated. I am in
the Prestwich area. Regards, Raymond.”Hundreds
have been moved by the post and have invited
Raymond to join them and their families on
Christmas Day.
Paul Millar posted: ''Raymond.
"Come to ours and eat with us.
"Were going for a pint in the Bay Horse Whitefield
lunchtime. I'll come and pick you up. We live
locally.''
Jacqueline Steele Walkden wrote: ''Raymond...I
know about that first Christmas alone without
your wife.
"I am on my 3rd this year without my Husband.
''Please accept one of the very generous offers
from our marvellous Prestwich people.
"Distraction is the one thing that helps weaken
our grief and living alone for the first time in our lives.

''Please join in with this first Christmas of yours.
''You will feel loved and wanted and it will be just
what the doctor ordered.''
Gayle Pitcher Crockford said: ''Raymond, you are
not a burden, there are a lot of us out there that
would happily offer company and dinner to
anyone alone.
''You did the right thing posting here as otherwise
we would never have known. I hope you have a
wonderful Christmas and maybe you could spend
another day with myself and our family after all
Christmas is just one day of the year.''
The Prestwich People Facebook page said they
haven't heard back from Raymond yet but have
been inundated with offers from kind-hearted

No comments:

Popular Posts

TODAY'S QUOTE

dont always think that money can do all things
money can only do few but you have more to do
think wisely

forum

About