
Novak Djokovic beat Andy Murray in straight sets
to win the Australian open today. The world
number beat Murray 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 in two hours
and 53 minutes.
With this loss, Murray, who's expecting his first
child, becomes the first player in the post-1968
Open Era to lose 5 finals at the same Grand Slam
since Ivan Lendl at the US Open who eventually
won it.
Djokovic who claimed his third straight Slam,
equals Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg on eleven Major
titles.
A downcast-sounding Murray paid an emotional
tribute afterwards on the podium to his wife Kim:
'She's going to be watching back home just
now. You've been a legend the last two
weeks. Thanks for all your support and I'll
be on the next flight home. I feel like I've
been here before. I'd like to congratulate
Novak. Six Australian Opens is an incredible
feat and also for what he's done the last
year or so. It's been incredible consistency.
'I'd like to thank my team for getting me
into this position and helping me prepare
for this. It's been a tough few weeks for me
away from the court


No comments:
Post a Comment